August 16, 2005

Istrian Coast, Slovenia

All is well in the world.

After listening to it pour all night (and waking up at 4am thanks to my jetlag), I finally got out of bed at 10am. As I stepped outside, the sun decided to break through the clouds and start warming up the Istrian Coast. The clouds cleared as I walked down to the seaside, where I enjoyed the best Cappucinno I have had since I was last in Europe. The setting was perfect ... a beautiful, deep blue sea, dotted with small sailboats and framed by lush, rolling hills. I explored Koper, and discovered an untouristed, medieval town, with tiny cobble stoned alleys and a small center square with a craggy belltower and 16th Century Palace. Things were looking up!


I got myself some breakfast from the local grocery store, and caught a bus down the coast to the next town over, Izola. There, I wandered the city's tiny alleys and enjoyed the old, European atmosphere. The city center reminded me of Lausane, Switzerland. The town was spotless and people hurried by, uninterested in the lone tourist, as they went about their daily business.

Not wanting to wait for the bus, I caught a taxi to Piran after haggling over price. Piran is wonderful, although it's very touristy. It used to be Venice's strongest ally, and as such, it has a truly venetian feel to it, right down to the bell tower modelled after the campanile in Plaza San Marco in Venice. It is located on a rocky outpost on the sea, and it's 'beaches' (which are nothing more than pavement leading to the water) are filled with older, sun ripened italian tourists. I loved this town, which had its fair share of cathedrals, proud plazas, cafes, and perfectly preserved city walls that you could scramble over, as you imagined the invadings Turks. I finished off the day with a tall Pivo (beer) on the waterfront as I watched the tourists walk by.

All is well in the world. How things can change day to day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home